Most days, I am happy about the life we are able to give Naomi here in Kampala for her first few years. I’m sure I won’t always love it, and I know we suffer greatly from having our families and many friends so far away. Part of me likes that the childhood she will know will be one where she is a minority – something I rarely knew. She will be a third culture kid (for better or worse). She will know power cuts and the sound of the generator, not being able to drink the water in the bath (although she is desperate to do so) and beautiful Ugandan animals flying through her backyard. Naomi will know people from different nations (just outside last week were kids from Norway, Germany/Sweden, Sweden/Rwanda, Turkey/Canada, Italy and the UK). Naomi will be able to go swimming most every day of the year thanks to the stunning weather here. She will pick her own lettuce (whenever we can actually convince her to eat vegetables) and pluck and savor strawberries grown just outside her bedroom window. Naomi will know her Dad walks to work or jumps on his vroom vroom (bike) in the morning and arrives home at night the same way. She will know weekend car trips to wildlife parks, waterfalls and amazing African savannas. At the same time, she will know the smell of awful garbage fires. She will know the face of poverty – and hopefully truly know how lucky she is. Ultimately, she can have many of these realities in a lot of places around the world, but she can have all of this here in Kampala. So today, that is what we are able to give her and I'm into it.
No comments:
Post a Comment