Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Feeling Lucky

I like ceremony and tradition. I like marking time in my own ways, celebrating the little things. It is harder to do these days but I know it is good for me. So I push it. I scrapbook (online) so that I can go through annual scrapbooks in 20 years and remember what went on in 2010. I spend time taking pictures at events even though I can’t seem to master the manual camera these days. Not because I don’t trust my memory often suffices, but because I love looking back at the images. Naomi does too. She loves going through our family albums. Again and again. Part of me worries she is just a little self-obsessed, but mostly I think she just really likes it. The way I do when I go home to Baltimore and pour over the Heuisler family albums…again and again.

One of our Foan-Heuisler family traditions is to look back at the year on our wedding anniversary and put together online albums and press print. The era of digital photography makes so much possible (like this blog!) but I worry that we will lose so much of it due to cache overload or some other electro-nonsense. This year’s scrapbook follows us from DC to London to Paris to family visits along the east coast and then finds us packing it up to move to Kampala. We have explored so much and giggled with so many wonderful people and very few of the sleepless nights are really caught on film – so at least in print they are a distant memory. It is a big book this year and I keep adding a new page each day. So later today I will “print” to make sure I won’t get caught up in another activity and forget. We live incredible, blessed lives. I shouldn’t need to scrapbook to remind me, but it works right now so I’ll go with it!

No comments: