I had a great experience in my two short weeks in Kigali, mostly exploring the country through the friends we knew there and the team I was working with for the assignment. It is a fascinating country going through an incredible rebirth after a long period of reconciliation following the genocide in 1994. Today, there is a very forward thinking government focused intensely on economic growth, laying fiberoptic cables throughout the country, embracing the one laptop per child concept and achieving many development goals in a short period of time. One tourism spot I saw advertised Rwanda as the Singapore of Africa. Hmmm.
The time away helped remind me how much I like working with diverse teams, providing targeted training and problem solving – especially when the people I work with pay some measure of attention to my advice. It isn’t always what I get at home with Naomi, now is it? The day before I left my dear 18 month old daughter put me in my place when I was telling her “No, do not do that, you will make a mess” with her coffee ‘experiment’ at a local restaurant. She looked up at me, pointed at the chair and said, “No, mama, sit!” Let’s just say the people I worked with in Kigali were a bit more amenable to most of my suggestions.
Here are a few pictures from Kigali with the team and then my trip to the gorillas and Lake Kivu on the weekend. It is days like these I love consulting.
No comments:
Post a Comment