Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Moving Day

One month after our arrival, we are moving into our house on Archer Rd. We've done a lot this month: found a house, bought temporary furniture and appliances, bought a car, been to the clinic twice due to Naomi's mild obsession with eating dirt, learned a little bit of Luganda, met new friends and found playgroups, explored the nascent local art scene, found a yoga and pilates practice, set up quite a bit of our kitchen stock with the spices, nuts and specialities from all around the city, planned our first safari and seen the source of the Nile. Oh yes, and Lendell's been starting up and running his project.

Herbert, one of Lendell's colleagues, suggested we get two guinea fowl for the big green yard. He said Naomi would love them and they will eat mosquitos and pests. I love the idea but Lendell is on the fence. Then another colleague asked what about a peacock? I said definitely! Stay tuned to see what kind of small farm we put together.

There is so much laughter here, so many smiles. Amidst those smiles I hear bits and pieces of the painful past that filter into the stories. It makes me think about the constant debate in the development community following a civil war or political crisis - does the country work towards truth and reconciliation or focus on a nationwide attempt to move on and forget the past. Are they mutually exclusive? As I try to understand the country's history, I have heard a variety of vignettes about Obote's era, Uganda under Amin and current political struggles ahead of the 2011 elections. Most people are happy with the peace they have experienced for the last decade plus. Many are making some money and supporting their families, most crave the continuing stability. Yesterday, another side of the story. Our taxi driver was bemoaning the potholes along the road, especially near our apartment which is right next to the President's State House. She said there was one President who never would have put up with this: Idi Amin. I was surprised. I asked what she thought of him as a President and she said he always got the job done. If potholes riddled a road that he passed, he threatened to fire the responsible party and the road was fixed immediately. Civil servants worked to anticipate this quick firing so the roads were never in bad shape for long. A very complex history.

More from the new house if I can get the internet to work.

No comments: