Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Baby Foan does Timor-Leste and back in Baltimore at 20 weeks


I had one more assignment in Timor-Leste before the baby and loved being back. Baby Foan and I hiked Cristo Rei, ate lots of beautiful mangos and passion fruit and enjoyed succulent Timorese produce galore. And lots and lots of coconut water, of course, which I'm told eases delivery. I heard so many stories about traditions and beliefs about pregnant women, how to get pregnant and how to deal with pregnant women throughout my month away.

1) If you want to be pregnant and see a pregnant woman, take off your right shoe, take off her right shoe and rub your toes on top of her toes.
2) If you are pregnant, make sure people you do not like do NOT stand behind you. If they do, your baby will look like them.
3) If the mother looks pretty when she is pregnant, the baby will be a girl.
4) Sildonia (my colleague from the former project who joined the new project) says pregnant women should never drive. You will definitely get into an accident. I asked about people who ride in those same cars and she said there is no problem with that.
5) Many people tell me I shouldn't go running as the baby will fall out. I promised them that doesn't happen to foreigners!

Here is a picture of Sonia at 7 months and me at 4.



Home in Baltimore in December and my belly is really showing.








No comments: